Guilt-Free Carrot Cake
Author: Vanessa Gibson
It's my sister's birthday this week - she's turning 33 and she's pretty awesome! She definitely deserves a delicious cake to celebrate, but she is very health-conscious and can't eat gluten or dairy. So this is what I came up with! (But shhh, she doesn't know yet!) It's delicious and moist and the natural flavours are great. I actually used tangelo instead of orange, which was grown from the aforementioned sister's own tree - it adds a lovely little zest! You'll enjoy this one, but does have lots of nuts in it, so keep it out of the kids' lunch boxes 🙂
- 300g carrot, peeled & finely grated
- zest & juice of 1 orange
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups almond meal
- ½ cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup cashews
- juice 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius/160 fan-forced.
- Place carrot, orange zest & juice, eggs, oil, honey and vanilla in a food processor.
- Blitz for 30 seconds until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Pour into a 7-inch tin, loaf pan or muffin pan. Cook for 30 minutes (muffin-size) - 60 minutes (whole cake), or until cooked through and golden on top.
- Meanwhile, make cashew icing: process cashews in a food processor until it begins to form a paste. Add juice and maple syrup and process well.
- Spread over cooled cake.
Make this recipe yourself and hashtag #mumsinthemix #guiltfreecarrotcake